Pages

Saturday, July 31, 2010

The Other Side of the School: Olivia Davidson

Olivia Davidson is, of course, the zombie I was alluding to earlier.  I did not have that much of a connection with Olivia Davidson.  I read Olivia’s Story when I was 9, and the only thing I really remember from that one was a reference to My Fair Lady, because I managed to read the book the day after I’d seen that movie for the first time.  I like My Fair Lady and quote it often.  I remember Olivia being weird, not artsy.

So the thing that bothered me about Olivia was, you know, her dying.  Not because I had any affinity for the character, obviously.  But because I’d been reading SVU since I was ten and the earthquake in Sweet Valley happened when I was sixteen, and learning that Olivia died, I had one very serious question.

“How the hell was she in that one SVU book for Christmas?” 

This was actually the first time in my life I very seriously questioned the world of Sweet Valley.  Yes, even with vampires and werewolves – those were obviously a very wild acid trip, even though you think the book would let us in on that so we’d see how bad acid is – but it’s not like anyone in book learned their lesson, so why should we?

You know, it is Sweet Valley, though.  She was obviously pretend dead, like Margo Black or Nick Fox.  But you would think someone would call her out on it!  “Hey, Olivia… you died.”  Was this resolved in the summer in between senior year and university?  Or did they meet another Olivia Davidson to fill a void in their lives and make her pretend like she was there the whole time?  It is seriously disturbed.

You know who could have died was Maria Slater.  Or, you know, someone that they brought back from the other side of the school just to die since we were never going to see them again anyway.  Not somebody that it’s already been established that she’s still alive when the twins go to University.  This is all kinds of messed up, even for Sweet Valley.

I’m going with pretend dead, to teach Ken Matthews a lesson in being a douche.  Which is a harsh lesson, but – it’s better than she came back from the dead for Christmas.  That is just freaking creepy.

1 comments:

winstonegbert said...

Hahaha! I totally remember that random appearance. Olivia was a freak, but that was just in the Tricia Martin category of the living dead.
Maybe she had unfininished business with that fridge...

winstonegbert

Post a Comment